11.27.2006

Researching Mindset

Today we spent some time working on data analysis towards my working research question. I finally am headed in a direction and am just hoping the project will come together more during the next few weeks.
While looking at the data I have collected, I am finding many English classrooms curriculum's are set-up directly around literature canons. Students are reading The Great Gatsby, Of Mice and Men, Huckleberry Finn and so on. More of the advanced placement courses have a little more options and are even reading books assigned in college classrooms.

1 comment:

camdaram said...

Isn't it sad how what we teach kids is based on dead white men? Not new authors who are breaking ground and redefining fiction, but what is comfortable. Not that connon based lit. isn't amazing, but the lack of variety and exploration is why I quit taking AP classes when I was in high school. Too prescribed.
I'm interested to see what your questions turns out to be.