11.08.2006

Fixing what's not broken...

In my attempt to begin my first small teacher research project, I am finding it hard enough to form a question and then conducting research seems like an even harder step. Nonetheless, I have begun the process. I started out initially with an interest in curriculum, especially regarding diverse school districts and the demand by society to diversify our schooling. Well this is a huge place to start…. Somehow I have begun to narrow it down to focus upon the texts chosen within the classroom specifically. Other than this step I have gotten no further but am still stuck in the questioning phase.
Recently I spent hours upon hours researching what others are saying about the topic and I find myself very interested in the role of mandated curriculum and teacher’s roles. I find it unrealistic teachers are always going to feel 100% comfortable with what is required and maybe not always accurate. Is it proper than to question the district’s requirements or just teach? I read an article about a teacher who refused to teach a book to her sixth grade class because she felt it was too graphic and students would spend more time discussing the graphic nature of the novel instead of the overarching importance of racism. Her refusal leads to a year long suspension and ultimate termination. Completely ludicrous, yeah?
So where does all of this put me? Where do I begin researching? I am greatly interested in choosing appropriate texts for students in the classroom in which all can learn from. When districts are shoving diversity down are throats and texts aligned with their thinking, what if they are wrong? When a teacher is too stuck in the ways of Shakespeare to branch out, what shall be done? Most of the time, students’ hate the novels read in literature courses, how can we change this?
Please help with any ideas you may have!!

No comments: